2 Jan 2008

Stephen Fry: Green Party Leader?



One is free to make the entirely valid observation that one cannot know for certain whether the scientific doom-saying on the subject of the planet, its rising temperature and the dire climactic and other consequences is true. One is free to observe that in the past scientists have been wrong. One is free to observe inconsistencies, evasions, exaggerations and discrepancies in the supposed ‘one-voice’ clarion cry emanating from the scientific community, environmental journalists, the green movement, the carbon off-set industry and others. In other words one is free to do nothing.

Ye-es but … you see the one overwhelming fact about the great climate debate is what’s at stake. Not scientific reputation, not the fortunes and comforts of capitalists and their populations, not pride or reputation but our very civilization.



I need in 2008 to do more to promote free software/open source. It is based on the key principles of green economics...free to use as long as you leave in as good a state as you found it. The whole economics of commons regimes and social sharing will be a way of making us all prosperous with less resource use.

It is based on social justice but not the big state...false debate because of course states wield the big stick so corporations can prosper.

I have done a bit of FOSS campaigning in my time and written lots about it on the web.

Pleasantly amazed to find the great Stephen Fry who I mainly associate with playing Oscar Wilde in a film and generally being an all round good guy...and he was in Black Adder...is a free software geek.

He has a Guardian technology column here and a rather nice blog. I can understand what he writes...which is sometimes a problem with this community of travellers.



He does a bit of green campaigning and his TV programme on HIV was very inspiring, to be honest one of the few tv programmes I watched in 2007,


He meets his first love from Cambridge who, having separated from Fry, later found out he and his new partner were positive.

In Doncaster, once crowned "HIV capital of the North", Fry challenges young people about their attitudes to promiscuity and unsafe sex and questions whether a whole new generation has missed the safe-sex message entirely.


well is Stephen the new Green Party leader I am trying to recruit to replace me...could be!


I don't go for the tea adverts though...I suppose it could be worse.

by the way here is Tom Chance the Green Party software speaker's (may be we could have a software leader?) blog

There is a great blog entry from Stephen on climate change denial, he is a bit long, which is a blogging sin but he writes pretty seriously and modestly about issues:

I suppose I must claim self-interest here. I do think it sensible for us all to respond to the theory of man made global warming and its potentially disastrous impact on the planet as if it were true. But I am also a useless bag of shit, or human being. I will therefore be seen from time to time in a car which isn’t an economical planet-pleaser. I will leave lights on. I will forget to recycle. I will travel. I have paid money to carbon trusts who promise to offset the damage my carbon footprint causes, but apparently (according to some at least) this isn’t the way forward. It’s all very hard and I’m not even sure that I can claim that I do my best. But I am doing my best to do my best. If that sounds weaselly and flabby and cowardly, that’s because it is. But I suspect that’s how most of us who believe in the threat of global warming are: will we have the courage to vote for a political dispensation that will force through what needs to be forced through and enact what needs to be enacted? I don’t know. But I do know that we need more heated arguments around dinner tables and less self-delusion and evasion. Act for the worst and hope for the best. In some ways I am sorry I seemed to make an enemy, on the other I am glad to have had the fierce evening with him. Fierce overheated evenings are needed at evening meals all over the world.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Further reading
Re: that useless consumer object our proposed leader Stephen fry is holding.
http://benzoylation.blogspot.com/2007/10/introduction-to-organic-chemistry.html

Re: progressiveblogs.ca
I was unable to search the aggregated blog site for Kyoto. Surely a major technical flaw in global green unity!

Progressive Bloggers, Do you have any opinions about Canada and its use of natural resources?

I'm actually British but for more info on Canada,
http://sen.blog-city.com/canada_the_french_americans_who_committed_to_kyoto

Derek Wall said...

Well I am sure that Fry with his hand held device is not perfect but I think what he writes is worth a look and what he does is generally good.

A friend urged me to join Progressive bloggers but apparently it is only Canadian...I tend to pick up Canadian politics from the great Ian Angus.

thanks anon for your comments and links

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm a mixed economy person, but Linux with the Opera browser is my ideal combination! ( www.opera.com )

RealGreenLeft said...

Think Stephen Fry is a paid up member of Nu Labour, mate.

Derek Wall said...

Well I remember when Cynthia McKinney was a Democrat and the likes of Peter Tatchell and Mark Hill were Labour.

Fry is not radical enough may be, for example, while he did the Big Ask, I don't think he made it to the climate camp.

However I like his campaigning, I like his thoughtful approach, I like his modesty...and above all I like his doubt.

Stephen Fry for leader, yes I think so.

Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles

Derek Wall ’s article entitled  Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles , argues that Ma...