28 May 2007

Mayor of London protest against Moscow homophobia

lets all say thank you to Ken for this act of solidarity


Dear Mayor Luzhkov,

"I am writing to convey my deep concern at the reported physical violence against, and arrest of, Peter Tatchell, a Parliamentary candidate for the Green Party in Britain, and other supporters of lesbian and gay rights, during their participation in an event in Moscow seeking to present a petition to you to lift a ban on the Gay Pride parade in Moscow.

"I have known Peter Tatchell for many years and know him to be a person committed exclusively to peaceful political activity.

"I would urge you to use your good offices to seek the lifting of all charges against Mr Tatchell and his fellow demonstrators.

"I would also urge you to resolve the root cause of this protest by lifting the ban on the Gay Pride parade in Moscow in line with the practice of most cities throughout the world."

Yours sincerely,

Ken Livingstone
Mayor of London

4 comments:

joshua said...

It's so nice for me to have found this blog of yours, it's so interesting. I sure hope and wish that you take courage enough to pay me a visit in my PALAVROSSAVRVS REX!, and plus get some surprise. My blog is also so cool!

Feel free off course to comment as you wish and remember: don't take it wrong, don't think that this visitation I make was a matter of more audiences for my own blogg. No. It's a matter of making universal, realy universal, all this question of bloggs.

I think it's to UNITE MANKIND! Don't see language as an obstacle. That's not the point. Open your heart and come along!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your help in eliminating the last remnant of democracy in Venezuela, RCTV!

Russophile said...

I posted a link to your blog post on the mayor's letter to Luzhkov on my blog post that covers this same issue which has lots of links on the parade and the arrests and generally on gays in Russia.

fuckeme said...

I'd like to thank Mr. Livingstone for his letter. It is good that leading politicians are speaking out.
Adam Pogonowski

Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles

Derek Wall ’s article entitled  Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles , argues that Ma...